BIKE ACCIDENT – Do I have coverage if I was injured while cycling?

BIKE ACCIDENT – Do I have coverage if I was injured while cycling?

July 25, 2019

Unfortunately many cyclist whom bicycle around this city, run the risk of being injured by an inattentive driver.  The most common question that arises after a bike accident is: “Am I coverage for a bike accident?”  Following a bike accident, an injured cyclist often asks if their auto insurance affords them coverage if injured while cycling.

Depending on who is at fault for the bike accident, different types of insurance policies may provide coverage for injuries such as medical bills, loss of income, and/or repairing or replacing your bike.  While there is no one clear answer, generally speaking uninsured/underinsured motorist (“UM/UIM”) coverage on an auto insurance policy covers a cyclist in the event they are involved in a bicycle accident with a car or motorist. Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is applicable because UM/UIM policies generally cover accidents involving the “use” of a motor vehicle, which applies to bike accidents as long as a motor vehicle caused the accident. UM/UIM coverage is also “portable,” meaning that it attaches to you whether you are on your bicycle, a pedestrian, or in someone else’s car.


Type of Insurance WHO does it Cover? WHAT does it Cover?
Liability Insurance Other/Non-Policyholder


Liability insurance compensates a person other than the policyholder for personal injury or property damage. This could be the cost of medical care for people injured in an accident or the repair cost of damage to other vehicles.
Medical Payment

(Med Pay)

Policyholder Medical Payments (often called Med Pay) covers the medical payments of all passengers in the policyholder’s vehicle if they are injured in an accident. Med Pay will cover the medical costs resulting from an auto accident, regardless of who was at fault.
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist


Policyholder Uninsured motorist coverage protects the policyholder if the holder is in an accident with an at-fault driver who doesn’t carry liability insurance. Underinsured motorist coverage, on the other hand, steps in when the policyholder is in an accident with an at-fault driver whose liability limits are too low to cover the damage or medical expenses
Physical Damage Coverage Policyholder’s Vehicle Automobile insurance coverage that insures against damage to the policyholder’s own vehicle.  Coverage is provided for perils such as collision, vandalism, theft, fire etc…


If you were injured in a bike accident or have any questions about your auto policy and what type of coverage you are carrying, we invite you to call us today at 619-432-5145 for a free consultation with one of our experienced San Diego bike accident attorneys.



Diana Legal